Thursday, November 14, 2013

Get Running - Couch to 5K app Review

I was a runner in high school, participating in both cross country and track. But after high school, I really didn't care much for running. I thought I might run again, but mostly, I didn't run again for quite a few years. When I decided to get in better shape, I started with walking, and dared myself to run. I wanted to see if I could do it again after almost 20 years of not running!

Enter in: the Get Running (Couch to 5K) app (for iPhone) (for Android)



This app takes the guesswork out of easing into running. It is really easy to overdo when you are starting out. This app really helps you to ease into a running routine.

The description states:
"Get fit and feel fantastic. Get Running with a great “Couch to 5K” beginner's running app!
With three enjoyable workouts a week, in nine weeks you’ll be jogging continuously for half an hour, even if getting off the couch is a struggle today.
Get Running breaks through the “beginning barrier” with the popular “C25K” beginner’s running plan. With each new week, Get Running’s human coach, Claire, gradually builds up your pace until you’re running for a whole half-hour."

Now quite honestly, when I started running again about 3 years ago, I can't remember which couch to 5K app I used. I have a feeling it was this one, because when I went to purchase this, I found out I had already paid for it to use with my iPod touch. I have been running less - my knee kept hurting, and I wanted to expand my fitness repertoire. I also wanted to get running with my children. We have started this, and are currently on week 3. It is a great way to start running or get back into running.

The app tells you when to run and when to walk, and it's even in a British accent. :) I haven't tried this lately, but you can use it while you're listening to music. You can also have it post to Facebook and/or Twitter after you are done.

What would I change? I might give more options for voices, and I would definitely add an actual distance tracker (either with GPS or an accelerometer). But both are features I can live without.

If you want to give running a try, give this a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment